Notes from Hunter Moorhead, NASCOE Leg Consultant, on 10/16/13:
As of 4:00 p.m. October 16, it appears that Senate Majority leader Harry Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell have reached an agreement on legislation which would reopen the government and increase the debt limit. While paper is not yet available, we expect the following provisions:
* Reopens and funds the government through January 15, 2015
* Provides retroactive pay and federal benefits for federal government employees
* Suspends the debt limit until February 7, 2014
* Instructs House and Senate Budget Conferees to produce an agreement by December 13, 2013
* Tightens requirements for verifying the income of people receiving health care premium subsidies
At this point, it is still unclear if FSA employees are required to return tomorrow morning for normal operations. The schedule below was just provided by House Leadership staff.
The vote in the Senate will most likely occur sometime in the 6:00-7:00 p.m. neighborhood – subject to change.
At this time – there are no votes expected until 7:00-8:00 p.m. – at the earliest (also subject to change). The timing of the House votes is entirely contingent upon how quickly the Senate votes and delivers the necessary paperwork.